How to Check for Bed Bugs: A Guide
Bed bugs are common pests that can quickly spread when left unchecked, making it crucial you know where to look for them. Minor bed bug infestations are easier to treat, so ensure you check bedding, luggage, bags and other areas where they may be lurking to prevent a larger issue.
Signs You May Have Bed Bugs
Many signs can point to bed bugs in your home. If you suspect a bed bug infestation, look out for several issues, including:
- Crimson or rust-colored stains on linens or mattresses.
- Eggs, eggshells and yellow skin from the nymphs.
- Dark, ink-like stains on fabrics, sheets or the mattress from bug excrement.
- Live red or brown bugs crawling in or near the bed.
- Bites on your arms, legs or hands.
Bed bugs are small creatures — about the size of an apple seed when fully grown — so you might not notice them immediately. Learn how you can spot bed bugs earlier with signs like these.
How and Where Do You Check for Bed Bugs?
You can visually inspect areas of your home or apartment for bed bugs. Grab a flashlight and a thin card, such as an old credit card or playing card.
Look for bloodstains, fecal marks, discarded skin, live bugs and eggs on pillows, sheets and mattresses. Use your flashlight to look at the bed frame, headboard, furniture and screw holes. Slide the card into any cracks or crevices to see if anything is hiding inside.
It’s crucial you determine exactly where the bugs are in your home. In general, you should look for bed bugs in these areas:
- Sheets, pillows and bedding
- Mattresses, tags and seams
- Headboards, bed frames and box springs
- Couches and chairs
- Curtains and drapes
- Electrical outlets and appliances
- Drawers and drawer joints
- Behind or beneath wallpaper
- Crevices where the floor, ceiling and walls meet
- Purses, backpacks and luggage
- Carpets and rugs
- Toys and stuffed animals
- Wooden or fabric-covered furniture, including bookshelves
If you notice signs of bed bugs in any of these locations, get in touch with a professional immediately.
Benefits of Getting Professional Bed Bug Services
Hiring a professional for bed bug services is the best way to eradicate them from your home. Advantages of using professional services include:
- Safer treatments: When you hire a trained professional, you know they’re using treatments designed to be safe for your family and pets.
- Professional cleaning: Elimination services take care of bed bug removal for you, leaving far less clean-up for you to handle after.
- More effective: Professional services are thorough, reducing the likelihood of needing a second or third try at eliminating them.
- Time savings: A professional knows how to get the job done right the first time, saving you time and money because they won’t miss any bed bugs.
Contact Royal Pest & Termite, Inc. for Bed Bug Services
If you suspect you have a bed bug infestation in your home, our team can help. We offer professional bed bug elimination services that use treatments suitable for you, your family and your pets. Let us help you take care of those bed bugs today — contact us online or call 754-800-5284.