What to Know About Sugar Ants — And How to Get Rid of Them
As their name suggests, sugar ants are attracted to sugar and sweets. If you have a feeling there’s a sugar ant infestation in your home, here’s what you need to know about them to start making a plan for removal.
What Are Sugar Ants?
Sugar ants are a type of ant that’s attracted to the taste of sugar. You might find these ants in your home if you have food open. For instance, leaving dishes with food particles in the sink or on the counter for an extended period can attract sugar ants.
You may also see sugar ants if you leave messes or spills unattended or drop food near doors and windows. Sugar ants are most commonly found in kitchens, but they’ll go just about anywhere sugar leads them.
Types of Sugar Ants
The name — sugar ant — is an umbrella term for several types of ants. You might encounter various kinds of sugar ants if you have an infestation, including:
- Odorous house ants: These are the most common type of sugar ants. You can often find them near plants with nectar or in kitchens with a lot of sugar. Odorous house ants are black with brown coloring on the abdomen and legs.
- Acrobat ants: These ants are usually found outdoors. They have red-brown bodies with either black or dark brown abdomens.
- Pharaoh ants: Pharoah ants will often build colonies inside. They have yellow bodies with red marks on or near the thorax.
- Argentine ants: These are another type of sugar ant that will invade many spaces when searching for food, from beehives to your own kitchen.
- Ghost ants: You may also find ghost ants in your home if you leave food particles or sugar in accessible areas.
No matter which type of sugar ant has invaded your home, you’re likely to find them in or near areas like leaky faucets, kitchen cabinets, stacked firewood, appliances and wall cavities.
How to Get Rid of Sugar Ants in Florida
Wondering how to naturally get rid of sugar ants in the kitchen? You have some options, but an infestation is best treated by professional services.
Pest control companies will know the best ways to remove all the sugar ants from your home — not just the ones you see. If you notice nesting sites or damage on wooden furniture, you might have a hidden sugar ant problem. Pest control professionals can identify the type of infestation you have and provide lasting solutions to eliminate sugar ants from your home.
In the meantime, you can get rid of sugar ants naturally by regularly cleaning your home and kitchen. Remove leftovers and food particles and dispose of trash regularly. If you notice a damp area in your kitchen or home, fix it right away.
Schedule Sugar Ant Removal With Royal Pest & Termite, Inc.
If you have a sugar ant problem and want to end it for good, our team can help. Royal Pest & Termite, Inc. uses high-quality treatments that are tough on ants but OK for you and your pets. Contact us online or call 754-800-5284 to get started.